Search Help Topics
We didn't find any results for the search
What are Thiele Small Parameters?
"Thiele/Small" commonly refers to a set of electromechanical parameters that define the specified low frequency performance of a loudspeaker driver. These parameters are published in specification sheets by driver manufacturers so that designers have a guide in selecting off-the-shelf drivers for loudspeaker designs. Many of the parameters are strictly defined only at the resonant frequency, but the approach is generally applicable in the frequency range where the diaphragm motion is largely pistonic, i.e. when the entire cone moves in and out as a unit without cone breakup.
Using these parameters, a loudspeaker designer may simulate the position, velocity and acceleration of the diaphragm, the input impedance and the sound output of a system comprising a loudspeaker and enclosure. Rather than purchase off-the-shelf components, loudspeaker design engineers often define desired performance and work backwards to a set of parameters and manufacture a driver with said characteristics or order it from a driver manufacturer. This process of generating parameters from a target response is known as synthesis. Thiele/Small parameters are named after A. Neville Thiele of the Australian Broadcasting Commission, and Richard H. Small of the University of Sydney, who pioneered this line of analysis for loudspeakers. These measurements are also used for designing enclosures for Subwoofers.
What is Fusion's 1 year Consumer Warranty Policy?
FUSION Entertainment offers a limited one year warranty on all car audio products - ensuring all FUSION speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, active enclosures, bass packs, head units or accessories are free from defects in material and workmanship, according to the following terms and conditions:
- The limited warranty for the FUSION product purchased extends to the first twelve (12) months beginning on the date of purchase of the product.
- The limited warranty extends only to the original consumer purchaser (consumer) of the product and is not assignable or transferable to any subsequent purchaser/end user.
- The limited warranty extends only to consumers who purchase the product in one of the countries (or areas) set forth on www.fusionentertainment.com. The limited warranty is only valid in FUSION’S intended country (or area) of sale of the product.
- During the limited warranty period, FUSION or its authorized service network will repair or replace, at FUSION or FUSION’s authorized dealer, any defective product or parts thereof with new and return the product to the consumer in working condition. No charge will be made to the consumer for either parts or labour in repairing or replacing the product. All replaced parts and cosmetic parts should be free of defects at the time of shipment and, therefore shall not be covered under these limited warranty terms.
- Repaired product will be warranted for the balance of the original warranty period or for ninety (90) days from the date of repair, whichever is longer.
- All warranty claims must be accompanied with a copy of this warranty card, and a copy of proof of purchase date.
The consumer shall have no coverage or benefits under this limited warranty if any of the following conditions are applicable:
- The product has been subject to: abnormal use, abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to excessive moisture or dampness, exposure to excessive temperature or other such environmental conditions, unauthorized modifications, unauthorized connections, unauthorized repair including but not limited to use of unauthorized spare parts in repairs, misuse, neglect, abuse, accident, alteration, improper installation, acts of God, spill of foods or liquids, maladjustment of customer controls or other acts which are beyond the reasonable control of FUSION, including deficiencies in consumable parts such as fuses, and breakage or damage to antennae unless caused directly by defects in materials or workmanship, and normal wear and tear of the product.
- FUSION was not notified by the consumer of the alleged defect or malfunction of the product during the applicable limited warranty period.
- The product serial number or the accessory date code has been removed, defaced or altered.
- The product was used with or connected to an accessory not supplied by FUSION or fit for use with FUSION product, or used in a manner other than its intended use.
If a problem develops during the limited warranty period, the consumer should take the following step-by-step procedure:
1.The consumer shall return the product to the place of purchase for repair or replacement processing.
2.The consumer shall also be charged for any parts or labour charges not covered by this limited warranty. The consumer shall be responsible for expenses related to reinstallation of the product.
3.If the product is returned to FUSION after the expiration of the warranty period, FUSION’s normal service policies shall apply and the consumer will be charged accordingly.
THE BENEFITS CONFERRED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY APPLY TO THE EXTENT THAT THEY ARE NOT SUPERCEDED BY ANY OTHER RIGHTS AND REMEDIES UNDER ANY APPLICABLE LEGISLATION THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED. OTHERWISE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY IS EXCLUDED AND THE FOREGOING WARRANTY IS THE PURCHASER’S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY AND IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, FUSION SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR A LOSS OF ANTICIPATED BENEFITS OR PROFITS, OUT OF USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT.
- Some states in America do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential damages, so the above limitation and exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights which may vary from state to state.
- FUSION neither assumes nor authorizes any authorized service center or any person or entity to assume for it any other obligation or liability beyond that which is expressly provided for in this warranty.
- All warranty information, product features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
What is the difference between a SVC ( single voice coil) and a DVC (dual voice coil) subwoofer ?
The main difference between single voice coil subwoofers and dual voice coil subwoofers is that DVC subwoofers give you the ability to configure the wiring to present a variety of different loads to your amplifier, which in turn can deliver more power. This provides an advantage when using Class-D or lower impedance amplifiers.
Single Voice Coil
A single voice coil (SVC) sub has one coil which utilizes a length of insulated copper wire wound onto a circular former with one positive (+) and one negative (-) terminal.
Most SVC subwoofers have a 4 Ohm impedance.
Dual Voice Coil
A dual voice coil (DVC) sub has two separate coils of insulated copper wire wound on top of each other on the former and has two positive (+) and two negative (- ) terminals; one pair for each coil.
Dual 2 Ohm coils are the most popular for presenting a 1 Ohm load to a Class-D amplifier.
My subwoofer has stopped working.
The first thing to check is that your amplifier is not in protection. If it is, this could be a sign that there is a problem with your sub or amp. The easiest way to check if your sub is causing your amp to go into protection is to disconnect the sub and power up the amp. If it does not go into protection with it disconnected, your sub is the problem. Check for a burnt smell, then try and move the cone gently by pressing down in the center to see if it has seized or is rubbing. It should move freely if the coil is not damaged. If the amp still goes into protection when you disconnect the sub, there is every reason to suspect your amp may have an internal fault. Unfortunately this does not mean your sub is guaranteed to be fault free as the amp may have suffered as a result of the sub failing or vice versa so at this point we would recommend that you return either one or both of the units to your place of purchase for inspection by the authorized dealer under the warranty provision of the product (if applicable).
What causes subwoofers to fail?
The main cause of subwoofer failure is overdriving or driving a clipped or distorted signal continuously to your sub. This can result in a mechanical or electrical failure. With electrical failure the result is normally a burnt voice coil causing the sub to go open circuit or in some cases short circuit to ground.
It is important to match the “RMS” ratings of your sub to your amplifier to avoid overdriving. Clipping or distortion is the audible sign of an unclean signal and this can originate from any piece of equipment in the signal chain. What this means is you may be only driving your amplifier at, say, half power yet your head unit/source may be driving at close to its maximum output which could be supplying a clipped or distorted signal to the amp, thus creating the audible distortion.
Mechanical failure occurs when the spider or butyl surround rips or tears, or sometimes the voice coil jumps the gap. What we mean by 'jumps the gap' is that when the sub is being mechanically overdriven it can result in over excursion or over travel. This results in the voice coil leaving the gap that it travels in, resulting in failure.
Mechanical failures in general are all symptoms of over excursion which can be caused by having the wrong size enclosure and/or overdriving. It is very important to follow the recommended enclosure volumes to ensure optimum performance of your sub and to protect it from these types of failures. It is also important to note the port length and diameter in relation to the tuning of the enclosure, as this also could adversely affect performance and reliability.
Calculating enclosure volume for subwoofers (sub box).
All Fusion subwoofers have an optimum enclosure volume which is based on a specific tuning point. To calculate volume, you need a calculator and a tape measure, and the following formula:
Length (in inches) x Width (in inches) x Depth (in inches) divided by 1728 = volume in cubic feet.
Length (in centimeters) x Width (in centimeters) x Depth (in centimeters) divided by 1000 = volume in cubic litres.
Always allow for the volume of the subwoofer that will be inside the enclosure and the port if applicable. Ensure you measure the inside dimension allowing for the enclosure material thickness.
Why is my subwoofer not working?
The first thing to do is check that your amplifier is not in protection. If it is, this could be a sign that you have a problem with your subwoofer or amplifier. The easiest way to check if your subwoofer is causing your amp to go into protection is to disconnect the subwoofer and power up the amplifier. If it does not go into protection with it disconnected, your subwoofer is the problem. Check for a burnt smell, or try to move the cone gently by pressing down in the center to see if it has seized or is rubbing. It should move freely if the coil is not damaged. If the amp still goes into protection when you disconnect the sub, there is every reason to suspect your amp may have an internal fault. Unfortunately this does not mean your sub is guaranteed to be fault-free as the amp may have suffered as a result of the sub failing or vice versa, so at this point we would recommend that you return either one or both of the units to your place of purchase for inspection by the authorized dealer under the warranty provision of the product (if applicable).
Thank you, your products have been registered. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.Back to Form
We could not register your products due to an error. Please resolve the issues below or contact us directly.
Error Details Explanation Text
Encounter is FUSION's most recognised audio range, which was re-engineered and reignited in 2015. A carefully balanced Bi-Spatial composite cone and butyl rubber surround combined with the ultimate in motor assembly construction, results in a subwoofer package that delivers extreme bass and eye-catching good looks. FUSION's stealth cone design is ready to shake.
This 12" Subwoofer delivers a massive 1000-Watts of power, punching well above its weight.
Engineered with thermally efficient exhaust vents to diffuse heat and offer greater reliability and higher power handling, the Encounter subwoofer range will enhance any audio installation and the affordable pricing makes the Encounter Range perfect for your vehicle.
|Peak Power||1000 Watts|
|Rated Power||250 Watts|
|Cone Material||Pressed paper|
|Mounting Depth||138mm [5-7/16"]|
|Mounting Diameter||279mm [11"]|